Save your money! I'm VERY unhappy with my AutoTrader Classics experience, and maybe I can save someone else a little money and a lot of disappointment!

For $50, I posted an ad on AutoTrader Classics. I was rolling the dice a little because I have never placed an ad on this company's website before, but I figured maybe it would give me a more national exposure for the classic vehicle I was selling. IT DIDN'T.

What it DID do is put my contact information out there for the overseas scammers to ply their trade. I was contacted by 4 separate scammers, all very easily recognizable ruses. I reported the scam contacts to AutoTrader Classics fraud staff, to which they responded that there was nothing they could do about these criminals.

For my $50 investment, AutoTrader Classics allowed my to post 3 (yes, only 3!) photos of the classic vehicle I was trying to sell. Anyone who has sold a vehicle through online methods KNOWS that you have to post a lot more than 3 photographs to do a decent job of showing your car. You would think that AutoTrader Classics of all companies would know this! But no, they only allow 3 photographs with a $50 ad. Then, the ad shows up only regionally, and in a very small regional area at that. Of course I could increase my ad's visibility by ponying up more $$, but I was not prepared to do that.

I received ZERO authentic responses via the AutoTrader ad. I thought AutoTrader Classics might produce a decent return on my $50 ad investment, but in reality it didn't produce a SINGLE authentic interested party. The car I listed was priced competitively, so that's not the problem. When I contacted them to obtain BASIC info such as number of page views, I was informed that they don't maintain that kind of information. Newsflash to AutoTrader Classics: "Number of page views" is kind of an important bit of information to us pesky customers! Very disappointing. Given my very poor experience with their service I decided to request a refund of my $50 to see if they wanted to keep my happy or would they prefer to keep my cash. I received a boilerplate, template response from their customer service department that a refund would not be possible, and that AutoTrader Classics makes every effort to ensure their customer's have a good experience with their service. Chumps. I'll take it as a lesson learned and tell my car club friends to not waste their money on their site. Hopefully I can save some other unsuspecting sap $50. Put me down as TOTALLY unimpressed...

Comments

your experience is the exact reason we launched www.allcollectorcars.com Cheap, effective, advertising, nationwide, with unlimited pictures and descriptions, and best of all...all of our ads are Run Til SOLD. NO TIME LIMIT

I am not just spamming here, you really hit home with my main reason for starting a competing business against almighty auto trader. best of luck to you!!

Wheat Ridge, Colorado, United States #849634

We also placed an ad and received only 1 response, which was a scam. Very disappointing after paying 50.00